21 Day Fix Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage, Spinach, and Feta
So in contrast to Spaghetti Squash and Butternut Squash, in which I worry dropping a finger each time I try to reduce them raw, acorn squash is exceptional smooth to cut before cooking. For recipes like this 21 Day Fix Stuffed Acorn Squash, I want to cut mine top to bottom, because it’s a touch flatter that way and the squash rests without problems on my cutting board and plus it makes an lovely coronary heart form. But you could additionally reduce it in 1/2 throughout the middle and the halves seem like a flower! Either way, it’s quite clean and quite darn adorable.
- 2 Acorn Squash
- 1 lb sweet or spicy poultry sausage (mine was chicken with feta and spinach)
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 onion, diced (i used sweet yellow, but I bet red would be yummy, too)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of spinach, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese (or sub your favorite cheese)
- 2 T of pecorino romano
- sea or Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional, but keeps the mess away).
- Cut each acorn squash in half, top to bottom OR across the middle, and remove the seeds. Use the first 2 teaspoons of olive oil to brush each squash, then sprinkle with salt. Place squash halves in oven for 40 minutes, or until fork tender, but still retaining their shape.
- While the squash is roasting, brown sausage in a skillet until cooked through. Next, add in remaining olive oil, onion and garlic to the pan and cook until veggies are soft. Mix in spinach and sprinkle mixture with a little salt. Cook until spinach wilts.
- Once squash is finished cooking, use a fork to gently mash the inside. Then divide sausage and veggie mixture evenly among the squash halves. Top each with 2 T of feta cheese and a 1/2 T of pecorino romano. Place squash back in the oven for a few minutes to melt and brown the cheese.
View full recipe at confessionsofafitfoodie
DISCLAIMER: This image is provided only for personal use. If you found any images copyrighted to yours, please contact us and we will remove it. We don't intend to display any copyright protected images.