Creamy Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
This recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce is made with fragrant, candy oven-roasted crimson peppers, roasted garlic, cashews, and shallots. It’s bursting with flavor due to the addition of herby fresh basil leaves and a splash of lemon juice. Adding vegetable broth makes the sauce the proper creamy texture to smother on top of your favorite pasta. Make this sauce for a wholesome and vibrant pasta dinner.
- 8 ounces rotini pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup medium yellow onion (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/3 cup raw whole cashews*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, chiffonaded
- High-speed blender (like Blendtec or Vitamix)
- Cook the pasta. Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Once boiling, add the pasta. Cook according to package instructions (usually about 8-10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Saute the onion, oregano, and garlic. While the pasta boils, set a medium saucepan over low heat. When hot, add the olive oil. Add the onion and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to get translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for one more minute. Add the tomato paste and cook until warmed through. Pour in 1/2 cup water and stir to bring up all of the bits of everything.
- Make the sauce. Pour the sautéed onion mixture into the blender. Add drained roasted red peppers, cashews, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Puree until silky smooth, 2-3 minutes. If the sauce is too thick to puree, add a bit more water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Mix the pasta and sauce. Return the pasta to the pot you cooked it in or to the saute pan – whichever is biggest! Place over low heat. Add sauce. Stir gently and cook just until warmed through, 1-2 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish and serve. Sprinkle basil over the top and serve!
DISCLAIMER: This image is provided only for personal use. If you found any images copyrighted to yours, please contact us and we will remove it. We don't intend to display any copyright protected images.